Search icon


26th Sep 2022

Woman spent three days in hospital after chihuahua poos in her mouth while she was sleeping

Steve Hopkins

Amanda Gommo took a selfie with the dog poo on her face – shortly before throwing up

A woman spent three days in hospital after her daughter’s dog accidentally did a poo on her face while she was asleep.

Amanda Gommo was taking an afternoon nap with chihuahua, Belle, when the pooch became ill and had violent diarrhoea.

The mum-of-three had her mouth open and was top and tailing with Belle, when the incident happened, and got some of the mess in her mouth.

The 51-year-old ran to the bathroom to be sick but later ended up in hospital with a gastrointestinal infection – passed on from Belle.

Gommo has told how she was catching 40-winks with the dog, “like I always do” when she “suddenly felt something squirt in my mouth”.

“I rushed to the bathroom and my son was in the shower, so before I washed it out I had time to take a quick snap!

“It was disgusting, and I was hurling violently for hours after – I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”

Gommo’s daughter took Belle to the vet where she was diagnosed with a nasty stomach bug and put on antibiotics.

But later that day, Gommo started displaying the same symptoms as Belle, so she rung 111 who sent an ambulance to her home.

Paramedics prescribed her painkillers for her stomach cramps and instructed her to drink lots of water to flush out any potential infection.

After their visit, Gommo’s symptoms became progressively worse, and 48 hours later, the cramps had spread all over her body.

Gommo’s mother then rang 999 who dispatched another ambulance, and this time she was transported to Bristol Royal Infirmary and immediately hooked up to a drip.

She was later diagnosed with a gastrointestinal infection that had been passed through Belle’s faeces into her mouth.

She was kept under observation for three days while they rehydrated her with the electrolytes and glucose that she’d lost throughout the horrific ordeal.

Gommo, who also suffers with chromes disease, said: “From the moment I got ill to when I was put on the drip, I couldn’t eat a thing.

“The cramps got worse and worse until I could feel them all over my body – even in my legs.”

Gommo said she was so dehydrated by the time the second ambulance was dispatched, “from being sick and having diarrhoea that my kidneys had shrivelled to half their size”.

She said her hospital discharge note said she’d suffered a gastrointestinal infection “caused by a dog defecating in my mouth – something doctors had never witnessed before”.

“I’ve been drinking two Lucozades a day, plenty of tea and loads of water since it happened, and I’m happy to say both me and Belle are on the mend.

“I’ve forgiven Belle for her little accident and I still love her with all my heart, but I will definitely be more mindful of what position we sleep in in the future!”

Related links: