AFCON quarter-final moved from Olembe Stadium for safety reasons 3 months ago

AFCON quarter-final moved from Olembe Stadium for safety reasons

Eight people died and several more were injured in a crush after Monday's game at the Olembe Stadium

Sunday's Africa Cup of Nations quarter-final, which was due to take place at the Olembe Stadium, has been moved to the Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium for safety reasons.


The move has been made as a result of the crush outside of the stadium which happened during host nation Cameroon's game against Comoros.

So far, the Cameroonian government have confirmed that eight people have died, while several others have been injured after crowds struggled to gain access to the stadium in the capital city of Yaounde.

The stadium holds 60,000, but due to the covid restrictions in place at the tournament can only be at an 80 per cent capacity.


It was reported that an estimated 50,000 spectators tried to get access to the stadium.

During a press conference on Tuesday, the president of the Confederation of African Football, Prince Motsepe called for an investigation into what happened, also confirming a change of venue.

"We have to make sure the safety of every single spectator is our primary concern," he said via Sky Sports.

"There is zero tolerance on circumstances which could result in people being injured at the stadium or losing their lives.


"We have to take emergency and urgent steps now, so I have called a meeting tomorrow and I've also sought the guidance and advice of my vice-presidents.

"I need a report on what happened, the circumstances that led to people being injured and emergency measures to make sure that doesn't happen again. We have to take collective responsibility.

"There must be a committee set up to immediately investigate what happened and find out who did not perform their responsibilities. We want that report by Friday.

"The game that is scheduled for Olembe Stadium on Sunday is not going to take place. It's going to take place at Ahmadou Ahidjo."


However, despite the tragic event, Motsepe insisted he was satisfied with the safety measures that were imposed ahead of the game.

He added: "My duty is always to not just take responsible steps but also I am more inclined to be as conservative as possible to put measures in place that minimises the loss of life.

"So I'm happy and pleased with the measures that are in place, I'm extremely disappointed and sad and hurt with what has happened yesterday. Everything possible is going to be done to make sure that doesn't happen again."

Related links: