Eight confirmed dead after crush outside of Cameroon AFCON game 3 months ago

Eight confirmed dead after crush outside of Cameroon AFCON game

Witnesses described the tragic scenes as 'chaotic'

The Cameroonian government have confirmed that eight people were killed and dozens more injured in a crush outside an Africa Cup of Nations match in the country on Monday night.


It was reported late on Monday that at least six people had died, however, the official number of fatalities has since been updated and confirmed.

Prior to the start of Cameroon's knockout fixture against Comoros at the Paul Biya Stadium in Olembe, reports claimed that a number of fans were involved in a crush as they attempted to make their way into the ground.

Video footage showed several people screaming as they were crushed against the entry gates, with witnesses describing the tragic scenes as 'chaotic' as thousands of fans struggled to gain access.


As reported by the BBC, seven of the 38 people who were injured are in a serious condition and one child is among the dead, according to officials quoted by the AFP news agency.

Although the stadium has a capacity of 60,000, the tournament's covid restrictions meant that the ground should not have been more than 80 per cent full for the game on Monday night.

However, match officials were quoted as saying that some 50,000 people were trying to attend the round of 16 tie.


Nurse Olinga Prudence told the Associated Press that some of the injured were in a "desperate condition".

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) said in a statement that it was investigating the situation.

Cameroon secured a 2-1 victory over Comoros, with the minnows reduced to ten men after just seven minutes when Najdim Abdou was shown red for a rash tackle on Moumi Ngamaleu.

The Indomitable Lions eventually took the lead when Karl Toko Ekambi poked home from close range, before Vincent Aboubakar scored a second with twenty minutes remaining.

Comoros did have a moment to celebrate when Youssouf M'Changmama made it 2-1 with a stunning free-kick with nine minutes remaining, but Cameroon held on to book their spot in Saturday's quarter final against Gambia.

Related links: