England star Owen Farrell lists the best leg exercises for explosive power and strength
Ahead of this summer's Rugby World Cup, England captain Owen Farrell has shared his workout of the day
Farrell's favourite gym exercises are key for boosting explosive power and strength. These are attributes that every rugby player needs in abundance, regardless of position.
For Owen Farrell, mobility and activation are the orders of the day when it comes to warming up. The best holds to perform are:
- Spider Man Stretch
- Forward Lunge w/ Hip Flexor Stretch
- High Knee to Cossack Squat
Spend 60 seconds on each to really get limber before hitting the weights room.
Farrell says, "As rugby is a positional field sport we need to work all three planes of motion and use key movement patterns."
The three main planes of motion involved are sagittal (forward and back), frontal (side to side) and transverse (rotational).
As a lot of power in rugby stems from the lower body, Farrell has based this workout on legs. The largest muscles in the lower body such as the quads, hamstrings and glutes will particularly feel the force of this circuit.
- Kettlebell goblet squat (use two kettlebells if advanced, as below
- Hip hinge deadlift (with two kettlebells)
- Backward lunge with one kettlebell
- Lateral lunge (both sides, one kettlebell)
- Single leg deadlift (one kettlebell)
- Start with a 15 metre sled push
- while team rotates on the assault bike
- Assault bike – max power for calories
- Sled pushes max push up and down 15m track
Working out at The Yard
- The Yard is set across 8000 square feet, featuring an expansive gym floor with custom built multi-functional rig. The mezzanine hosts a dedicated combat zone making room for an enlarged free weights area.
- It boasts a variety of cross-training and strongman equipment, a state-of-the-art free-weight are, sleds and sprint tracks, as well as a new performance combat zone and dojo.
- With the new space, comes a host of new class concepts designed exclusively for The Yard. Yard Strong, Yard WOD and Yard Circuits take centre stage in the main rig area along with boxing, kickboxing and Thai boxing for combat enthusiasts everywhere.