Widow of assassinated journalist urges Premier League not to 'cave in' to Saudi Newcastle takeover 1 month ago

Widow of assassinated journalist urges Premier League not to 'cave in' to Saudi Newcastle takeover

"There is still no justice for Jamal’s murder"

The fiancee of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi has urged the Premier League not to 'cave in' on the Saudi takeover at Newcastle United.

Advertisement

The takeover of Newcastle by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund could be announced today, Thursday October 7, according to reports.

However, Hatice Cengiz - Khashoggi's fiancee - has told Telegraph Sport that she is shocked that the Premier League are seemingly willing to let Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman "wash his reputation, and sully the name of sports".

Ms Cengiz and her legal team are currently pursuing a lawsuit against Crown Prince Bin Salman, with the CIA believing that the Saudi Arabian politician "approved" the kidnap, drugging, torture and assassination of Mr Khashoggi in 2018.

"Only a few days after the third anniversary of Jamal’s murder, it is horrifying to learn that the Crown Prince is on the brink of getting what he wants: to wash his reputation, and sully the name of sports," Cengiz told Telegraph Sport.

She added: "I ask what has now suddenly changed? There is still no justice for Jamal’s murder.

"I urge the Premier League not to cave in now — this is the moment to show courage and principle. It will show the killers they cannot wash away their crimes.

"The League needs to lead by example for football fans and all people to say no to murder."

United States President Joe Biden has previously claimed that he would go after Bin Salman and Saudi Arabia for the murder of  Mr Khashoggi - who was killed in Turkey after entering the Turkish consulate in order to get a visa that would allow him to travel to Saudi Arabia to marry Ms Cengiz.

"We assess that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman approved an operation in Istanbul, Turkey to capture or kill Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi," stated a declassified American intelligence service.

After Saudi Arabia announced that they had lifted its four-year ban on beIN Sport from broadcasting in the country - a development that would evidently have an impact the potential takeover of Newcastle - there has still been no comment from the Premier League, or current Chief Executive Richard Masters, on the situation.

Amnesty International have today (Thursday October 7) called on the Premier League to consider Saudi Arabia's human rights record before approval is given to a Saudi-backed takeover bid of Newcastle United.

Related links: