Everton footballer arrested on suspicion of child sex offences has bail extended 2 months ago

Everton footballer arrested on suspicion of child sex offences has bail extended

The player was suspended by Everton last summer

An Everton footballer, who was arrested on suspicion of child sex offences, has had his bail extended until the summer, as reported by the Daily Mail.

Advertisement

The player - who cannot be named for legal reasons - has had his bail extended for the fifth time and will now answer bail in July, exactly 12 months since he was first arrested, on Friday July 16, 2021.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed the player's bail had been extended

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed the news in a statement on Sunday (April 17) after an application to extend the bail was approved by the magistrates.

Advertisement

A spokesperson said: "He will now be asked to answer bail on Saturday, July 16, as enquiries continue."

At the time of the player's arrest, Everton released a statement confirming that they had suspended the unnamed player while the police investigation was conducted.

It said: "Everton can confirm it has suspended a player pending a police investigation.

"The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time."

Advertisement

Following his arrest last year, detectives then went to raid his home in search of evidence where a source had revealed that "several items" had been found.

A source said: "Several items were seized by cops. He was questioned in relation to very serious offences."

The source also revealed that since the player's arrest, the unnamed footballer had since "gone to the ground" and that the news of his arrest had left his teammates "stunned."

Related links:

Advertisement