Marcus Rashford calls for government to axe universal credit cut
Marcus Rashford MBE stepping up, as per
Manchester United and England star Marcus Rashford has called upon the government to cancel their proposed universal credit cut, as low-income households and families are set to receive £20 less each week from October 6.
However, just as he did with free school meals earlier this year, Rashford has quite-rightly stated that we should be doing everything we can to tackle child hunger. It is estimated that there were at least 4.3 million children living in poverty between 2019-20.
As reported in The Guardian, Rashford said “Instead of removing vital support, we should be focusing on developing a long-term roadmap out of this child hunger pandemic", as well as urging people to write to their local MPs before the welfare reduction comes into effect.
He went on to say: "On 6 October, millions lose a lifeline. It’s a move that Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) says will raise child poverty to one in three.” In contrast, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Secretary, Thérèse Coffey, stated she was "entirely happy" with the plans, insisting people could work extra hours to make up the losses.
Moreover, just last month, it was announced that there would be significant surges in energy prices. It was estimated that bills are set to increase by at least £139 - a concerning statistic now we are in the autumn months and winter is nearing.
Last week, Boris Johnson was asked if he could live on universal credit - a question which he repeatedly refused to answer. At the Labour Party Conference over the weekend, deputy leader Angela Rayner labelled the PM and members of his party as "scummy" for allowing children to go hungry in a pandemic.
Does the PM really understand the pressure some people are feeling at home?
"I don't believe that people will be short of food," Boris Johnson tells @BBCLauraK, amid surging energy prices and a cut to universal credithttps://t.co/OpZXDjZ9wi pic.twitter.com/dPuyl9svbk
— BBC Politics (@BBCPolitics) September 21, 2021
The government is set to have another spending review on October 27 but the 23-year-old sportsman and activist not only wants welfare cuts scrapped but free school meals expanded to include "all children aged seven to 18 in households earning £20,000 or less after benefits".
For those concerned about the impending universal credit cuts, you can find vital information on the Citizens Advice Bureau here.
- Marcus Rashford's use of social media to be studied by GCSE media students
- European haulage drivers 'don't want to come to UK', warn haulage chiefs
- Boris Johnson makes cash offer to Taliban