Liverpool set for more transfer disappointment with Jurgen Klopp to cancel Alisson pursuit
Liverpool's transfer plans appear to have been dealt another blow
Even before Loris Karius' costly errors in the Champions League final, Jürgen Klopp had been said to be looking at bringing in a new goalkeeper, with AS Roma's Brazilian international Alisson most frequently linked with a transfer to Anfield.
The possibility of such a move appeared to increase when Roberto Firmino admitted during a press conference last week that Alisson had asked him about life on Merseyside.
However, according to The Mirror, Liverpool aren't optimistic about their chances of signing the goalkeeper.
Their report makes clear that claims in the Brazilian media that Liverpool had tabled a £60m bid for Alisson were wide of the mark and that the club's recruitment team have accepted that their chances of signing him are 'highly unlikely'.
Roma insist they don't want to sell Alisson, and have slapped a price tag in excess of £70m on him to deter clubs from making a bid. This tactic seems to have worked, with Klopp said to have informed the Liverpool's board that he has no interest in sanctioning such a high bid.
The report adds that Liverpool also appear to have been priced out of a move for Atletico Madrid's Jan Oblak, forcing Klopp to reconsider his options.
This comes within days of the collapse of Nabil Fekir's move from Lyon. The French international appeared poised to finalise a move to Anfield prior to jetting off to the World Cup in Russia, with a picture of him in the club's kit leaked online. However, a statement from Lyon confirmed that the deal was off on Saturday with Fekir set to stay put.
Liverpool have managed to complete a deal for Fabinho from AS Monaco with Naby Keita also due to join from RB Leipzig on July 1.