
News
Share
Published 14:50 18 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 14:50 18 Aug 2026 BST

Following complaints that the noise was driving people “nuts”, customers of JD Wetherspoon have been banned from playing music or taking calls on speaker.
The ban, as the British chain very recently announced, was introduced across its 792 pubs.
JD Wetherspoon said that sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an “increasing problem in recent years”.
“Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people's videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones”, the company said in a statement.
Meanwhile, the chain’s chairman and founder, Sir Tim Martin, said: “In a world dominated by other people’s music and amplified sound, Wetherspoon pubs are an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation.”
“In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Previously, the Liberal Democrats have called for fines of up to £1,000 for “headphone dodgers”.
These are the people who play music out loud on buses and trains.
Last year, a YouGov poll found that 62% of people would back the move, with 28% saying they would oppose the Lib Dems’ proposed fines.
Some 6,815 British adults were surveyed in the poll, which found almost three-quarters of pensioners would support the fines.
Meanwhile, those those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47-43 in favour.
London Mayor Sir Sadiq Khan last year rolled out a campaign which encouraged people to use headphones when playing music on the city’s transport network.
Wetherspoon opened its first pub in Muswell Hill, north London, in 1979, and it was first called Martin’s Free House before being renamed to Wetherspoons the following year.
Explore more on these topics:
News

Donald Trump shouts ‘fake news’ at CNN reporter in full-on White House meltdown
The White House has also launched a vindictive personal attack on the journalist. Donald Trump lost it with a female reporter in the Oval Office before the White House then launched a remarkable personal attack on her on social media. On Monday, CNN’s senior White House correspondent Kristen Holmes asked Trump for a response to […]
News
8 min
Instagram and Facebook could be changing forever as major trial begins
The changes could be massive A jury trial set to begin on Tuesday may pose the biggest threat yet to Meta’s operations, as the company has been hit with successive losses in court over how its platforms have targeted and harmed young users. Some 30 US states, including California and New York, claim numerous violations […]
News
47 min
News
Russia tells UK it will ‘pay a price’ for alleged use of British drones in Ukrainian strikes
News