Search icon


01st Mar 2022

Rugby player contracts life-changing infection after dog poo left on pitch

Charlie Herbert

Rugby player contracts life-changing infection from dog poo

Warning: this article contains graphic images of a leg infection

A rugby player has suffered life-changing injuries for 17 years after picking up an infection from dog poo whilst playing rugby.

Darryl Adams was hospitalised in 2005 after a player stamped on his shin with rugby boot studs covered in dog poo that has been left on the pitch.

The studs cut his shin and the dog poo caused a cellulitis infection which never properly healed.

The 50-year-old is now urging dog owners to pick up after their pets, saying his leg has “never been right” since it was infected.

Adams said: “I ended up having a week in hospital and the doctor who treated me said that once you get cellulitis, all it takes is something small to trigger it off again.

“The infection flared up twice between 2005 and 2013 – the last flare up in 2013 was the worst.

Darryl spent a week in hospital with the infection, and was told that it only takes something small for it to flare up again (SWNS)

“All it took was heavy flu to trigger it and I was hospitalised for two weeks because the infection had tracked into my veins.

“Ever since then my leg has never been right, it is constantly swollen and looks awful – all from some selfish person who couldn’t be bothered to pick up after their dog.”

Darryl has been suffering from the infection for the last 17 years (SWNS)

Dog fouling remains an issue in communities across the country and Adams is part of a campaign which aims to raise awareness of the health risks associated with dog poo.

Dog faeces carries harmful bacteria that can lead to infection, asthma and blindness. The bacteria can also live in soil long after the poo has decomposed.

Keep Wales Tidy Chief Executive Lesley Jones said: “We urge the minority of irresponsible dog owners to do the right thing and pick up after their pets. By not picking up after your dog, you could be putting people at risk.

“Darryl’s story highlights just how harmful dog poo can be for people.

“Dog poo isn’t just an unpleasant mess, it can be dangerous.

“Please bag it, bin it and leave only pawprints when you’re out and about.”

Related links: