Everton v Man City tonight postponed due to coronavirus outbreak
Three more Man City players and staff are having to self-isolate
Tonight's 8pm kick off between Everton and Manchester City is the second Premier League fixture postponed this season after a coronavirus outbreak.
Three more cases have been discovered among City's players and staff, after Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker tested positive last week.
Newcastle's match against Aston Villa at the start of the month was postponed after a "significant increase" in cases at the Magpies' training ground.
City and Everton were due to play their second game in less than 48 hours at Goodison Park this evening, having beaten Newcastle and Sheffield United respectively on Saturday.
Manchester City players Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker are already self-isolating, having tested positive for coronavirus late last week, as well as two of the club's staff, the club announced on Christmas day.
Walker apologised in May for breaking lockdown regulations twice.
Everton confirmed the news this afternoon, stating the fixture was postponed following a Premier League Board Meeting.
🔵 | Following a Premier League Board Meeting this afternoon, #EFC has been informed that tonight's fixture against @ManCity has been postponed on medical grounds due to an increase in cases of COVID-19 in the Manchester City squad.
— Everton (@Everton) December 28, 2020
In a statement, the club said: "Following a Premier League Board Meeting this afternoon, Everton Football Club has been informed that tonight's fixture against Manchester City has been postponed on medical grounds due to an increase in confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Manchester City squad.
"Supporters who were successful in getting match tickets through the Club's ballot for the fixture are advised not to travel to the stadium.
"An alternative date and kick off time has yet to be decided but will be confirmed on evertonfc.com as soon as possible.
"Everton's next fixture will now be the New Year's Day visit of West Ham United (5.30pm GMT)."
A Manchester City spokesperson said: "Manchester City FC can confirm that this evening’s Premier League fixture at Everton has been postponed.
"After the latest round of Covid-19 testing, the club returned a number of positive cases, in addition to the four already reported on Christmas Day.
"With the security of the bubble compromised, there posed a risk that the virus could spread further amongst the squad, the staff and potentially beyond.
"Based on strong medical advice the Premier League, in consultation with both clubs, have decided to postpone the fixture.
"All positive cases involving players and staff will observe a period of self-isolation in accordance with Premier League and UK Government protocol on quarantine. The first team training ground at City Football Academy will close for an indeterminate period, with the squad and associated bubble undergoing testing before any decision is made for training to resume.
"Everyone at the Club wishes all of our colleagues a speedy recovery ahead of their return to work, training and competition."
The two new coronavirus variants that have been discovered in the UK are both understood to be significantly more infectious than the original strain of the disease, leading to some suggestion that the country could go into a 'Tier 5' lockdown as soon as the New Year.