Search icon

News

08th Jun 2023

Piers Morgan takes aim at media after Lionel Messi completes Inter Miami move

Callum Boyle

Lionel Messi

Messi confirmed he would be joining the MLS side on Wednesday

Piers Morgan couldn’t resist another dig at the media and Lionel Messi after the Argentine completed his move to Inter Miami on Wednesday.

Messi officially announced he would be moving to the MLS after leaving Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season.

In an announcement via Mundo Deportivo, the 35-year-old said: “I’m going to join Inter Milan. The decision is 100 per cent confirmed.”

As expected, the World Cup winner wasn’t short of offers, including an emotional return to Barcelona, however financial difficulties prevented the LaLiga champions from bringing him back to the Camp Nou.

A lucrative offer from Saudi Arabia – the country Messi is a tourism ambassador for – was also on the cards, but the forward admitted that Al Hilal’s alleged offer of £4bn seemed like too much.

“If it had been a matter of money, I’d have gone to [Saudi] Arabia or elsewhere. It seemed like a lot of money to me,” he said.

Had Messi made the move to the Middle East he would’ve been reunited with his long-time footballing rival, Cristiano Ronaldo, who moved to Saudi Arabia in January.

And Morgan, who is an extremely huge fan of Ronaldo, used the move of Messi’s MLS move to state his admiration for the 38-year-old once again, while criticising the media’s portrayal of the Portugal international.

He tweeted: “So, Messi quits elite football at 35, three years earlier than Ronaldo. Presumably, we’ll now read/hear all the same scathing, mocking pieces by sportswriters/pundits that they wrote/said about Cristiano – right? (Spoiler alert: we won’t.)”

Ronaldo wasn’t included in the Saudi Pro League’s team of the season, with ex-Manchester United forward Odion Ighalo included ahead of him/

Related links: