Man City star Benjamin Mendy arrives at court in prison van 3 months ago

Man City star Benjamin Mendy arrives at court in prison van

Mendy was charged with four counts of rape on Thursday.

Premier League footballer Benjamin Mendy has arrived at court in a prison van under police escort to face four counts of rape.

Advertisement

Mendy, who has played for Premier League champions Manchester City since 2017, is accused of attacking three women over the age of 16 over a ten month period. He also is facing one count of sexual assault.

He arrived at Chester Magistrates' Court in a GeoAmey prison van vehicle this morning, August 27.

The Mail reports that the DAF van was given an escort by a Peugeot 308 police car before driving into the court building through an open red shutter door, which was then closed behind it.

Mendy arrives at court in prison van Mendy arrives in a prison van at Chester Magistrates Court in Cheshire on August 27 (credit: Getty)

Advertisement
Mendy arrives in prison van The shutter door is closed behind the prison van after it arrives at the court (credit: Getty)

On Thursday, a spokesman for Cheshire Constabulary said the force had been authorised to charge Mendy with the alleged sex attacks.

The spokesman said: "Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

"The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.

"Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates' Court on Friday 27 August."

Advertisement

Related links:

Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy charged with four counts of rape

Benjamin Mendy suspended by Man City after being charged by police

He added: "Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.

Advertisement

"It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings."

After the news broke on Thursday, Manchester City confirmed that the club had suspended the Frenchman.

A spokesperson for the club said: "Manchester City can confirm that, following his being charged by police, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."

Advertisement

Mendy had played in City's first two games on the season but was on the bench for their last match against Norwich. He has made 75 appearances for City since the club signed him from Monaco in 2017 for £52 million.