
News
Share
Published 10:34 27 Aug 2021 BST

Mendy arrives in a prison van at Chester Magistrates Court in Cheshire on August 27 (credit: Getty)[/caption]
[caption id="attachment_286430" align="alignnone" width="2048"]
The shutter door is closed behind the prison van after it arrives at the court (credit: Getty)[/caption]
On Thursday, a spokesman for Cheshire Constabulary said the force had been authorised to charge Mendy with the alleged sex attacks.
The spokesman said: "Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.
"The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.
"Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates' Court on Friday 27 August."
Related links: Manchester City’s Benjamin Mendy charged with four counts of rape Benjamin Mendy suspended by Man City after being charged by policeHe added: "Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.
"It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings."
After the news broke on Thursday, Manchester City confirmed that the club had suspended the Frenchman. A spokesperson for the club said: "Manchester City can confirm that, following his being charged by police, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation."The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."
Mendy had played in City's first two games on the season but was on the bench for their last match against Norwich. He has made 75 appearances for City since the club signed him from Monaco in 2017 for £52 million.Explore more on these topics:
UK company sued after sacking employee for moving to France
She took the case to the employment tribunal Working from home has been normalised for half a decade now, with it being one of the few good things coming out of the Coronavirus pandemic. More and more companies have opted for this style of work, as employees and employers alike are able to have a […]
News
16h
MOT price could almost double to £95 under garage industry plans
A major MOT price hike is now being proposed Drivers could soon face a significant increase in the cost of their MOT, with the garage industry calling for the current maximum fee to rise from £54.85 to £95. At the moment, garages cannot charge more than £54.85 for a standard car MOT, a maximum that […]
News
18h
News
UK Inflation Climbs to 2.9% as Energy Bills Bite
News