Djokovic's father calls son's deportation from Australia 'an assassination attempt' 4 months ago

Djokovic's father calls son's deportation from Australia 'an assassination attempt'

'The assassination attempt on the best sportsman in the world is over'

Novak Djokovic's dad has slammed the Australian government for their decision to deport the Serb from the country on the eve of the Australian Open.

Advertisement

The Federal Court of Australia upheld the decision made by Alex Hawke to re-cancel Djokovic's visa on Sunday January 16 after they feared Novak's choice to not get vaccinated would encourage views towards being anti-vaxx in the country.

But Novak's father, Srdjan was not happy with the outcome and took to Instagram to post a furious response in which he said: "The assassination attempt on the best sportsman in the world is over, 50 bullets to Novak's chest. See you in Paris."

However, according to ABC, Srdjan distanced himself from the comments and released a statement via the Djokovic family claiming that the words were said by fans of Novak.

Advertisement

They said: "We will be there to share the blows he received, to help him regain his energy, his faith in this sport, above all in fair play, which was completely absent here."

The tennis world number one has received large support from other Serbs including footballers such as Nemanja Matic and Dejan Lovren, whilst the president of Serbia, Aleksandar Vucic said his fellow countrymen had been treated harshly.

Advertisement

"They think that they have by this, this mistreatment of 10 days, humiliated Djokovic, but they have humiliated themselves. Djokovic can return to his country with his head held high," he told local outlets.

"I spoke earlier to Novak Djokovic after the decision and I encouraged him. We look forward to seeing him return to his country, where he is always welcome."

Nemanja Matic posts a message of support to Novak Djokovic. (Credit: Instagram)
Advertisement

The 20-time Grand Slam champion has since returned to Dubai and is now banned from playing in Australia for three years, however he can apply for an exemption to play at next year's Australian Open, which would be assessed by authorities.

Related links: