The best restaurants in the world for 2017 have been named
Three restaurants in the UK make the grade. Ever had the pleasure of dining in any of these restaurants?
Eleven Madison Park in New York City has been named as the best restaurant in the world at the 2017 World’s 50 best restaurants awards in Melbourne.
The New York restaurant, which claimed third spot in last year’s awards, finished ahead of last year’s winner, Osteria Francescana in Modena in Italy, with the restaurant that finished in second place last year, El Celler de Can Roca in Girona in Spain, finishing in third spot this time around.
— The World's 50 Best (@TheWorlds50Best) April 5, 2017
It is only the second time in the 15-year history of the awards that a restaurant outside of Europe has claimed the top spot; France, Spain and the USA all had six representatives in the top 50.
Alas, there were no Irish entries on the list, but you won’t have to travel too far to dine in the three London restaurants that made the top 50: Clove Club, The Ledbury and Dinner by Heston Blumenthal.
The list is created from the votes of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy, an influential group of over 1,000 international leaders in the restaurant community.
The panel in each region is made up of food writers and critics, chefs, restaurateurs and highly regarded ‘gastronomes’.
Members list their choices in order of preference, based on their best restaurant experiences of the previous 18 months. There is no pre-determined check-list of criteria, but there are strict voting rules.
You can check out the voting process in more detail here and see the list of restaurants in full below.
The world's 50 best restaurants
- Eleven Madison Park (New York City)
- Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy) - Best restaurant in Europe
- El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)
- Mirazur (Menton, France)
- Central (Lima) - Best restaurant in South America
- Asador Etxebarri (Biscay, Spain)
- Gaggan (Bangkok) - Best restaurant in Asia
- Maido (Lima, Peru)
- Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
- Steirereck (Vienna)
- Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, New York) - Highest climber
- Arpege (Paris)
- Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athenee (Paris) - Highest re-entry
- Restaurant Andre (Singapore)
- Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
- D.O.M. (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Le Bernardin (New York City)
- Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
- Geranium (Copenhagen)
- Pujol (Mexico City)
- Alinea (Chicago)
- Quintonil (Mexico City)
- White Rabbit (Moscow)
- Amber (Hong Kong)
- Tickets (Barcelona)
- Clove Club (London)
- The Ledbury (London)
- Nahm (Bangkok)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Arzak (San Sebastian, Spain)
- Alleno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris) - Highest new entry
- Attica (Melbourne) - Best restaurant in Australasia
- Astrid (Lima, Peru)
- De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
- Septime (Paris) - Sustainable restaurant award
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London)
- Saison (San Francisco)
- Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
- Relae (Copenhagen)
- Cosme (New York) - New
- Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (Shanghai)
- Borago (Santiago)
- Reale (Castel di Sangro, Italy) - New
- Brae (Birregurra, Australia) - New
- Den (Tokyo), - Last year's one to watch, new
- L'Astrance (Paris)
- Vendome (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
- Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin)
- Tegui (Buenos Aires) - New
- Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)