
Sport


Australian tennis player Destanee Aiava has declared she will retire from the sport aged just 25.
The former world-number-147 has made around £1 million from the sport over the course of her career, but opted to walk away from tennis on Saturday, announced in an explosive statement posted on social media.
The player will see out the rest of the season before leaving the sport for good next year.
Writing on Instagram, Aiava compared tennis to a "toxic boyfriend" and said there is a "racist, misogynistic, and homophobic" culture within the sport.
“I want to say a ginormous f--- you to everyone in the tennis community who’s ever made me feel less than."
She said: "F--- you to every single gambler who’s sent me hate or death threats."
“F--- you to the people who sit behind screens on social media, commenting on my body, my career, or whatever the f--- they want to nitpick. And f--- you to a sport that hides behind so-called class and gentlemanly values.
“Behind the white outfits and traditions is a culture that’s racist, misogynistic, homophobic and hostile to anyone who doesn’t fit the mould, " she added.
"My ultimate goal is to be able to wake up every day and genuinely say that I love what I do – which I think everyone deserves a chance at.
“I’m 25, turning 26 this year and I feel so far behind everyone else, like I’m starting from scratch. I’m also scared. But that’s better than living a life that’s misaligned, or being around constant comparison and losing yourself.”
The biggest moment of Aiava's career came back in 2019 when she beat Aryna Sabalenka in the Libéma Open.
She also played at the 2025 Australian Open but lost in the second round.
Share
16th February 2026
11:31am GMT