
Sport
Share
Published 10:18 24 Jun 2023 BST
Updated 10:18 24 Jun 2023 BST

Jeff Stelling will be unable to return to our television screens until next year at the earliest after being placed on gardening leave by Sky Sports.
Stelling left his role as the host of Soccer Saturday after 30 years in the seat following the final game of the Premier League season.
The 68-year-old had initially planned to step down the year before but performed a U-turn to remain as the host for one more year.
After confirming his departure, he said: “I’ve been at Sky for more than 30 years and loved every moment of my time as part of the Soccer Saturday team.
“It is now the right time to move on and give Sky Sports viewers a break from my relentless rants, bad gags and over-the-top celebrations of Hartlepool United goals. It’s been a lot of fun – for me at least!”
Earlier this week, reports said that Stelling is in talks with the BBC and Amazon Prime over broadcasting roles.
As of 2024, Amazon will stream Champions League matches after they agreed a three-year deal with UEFA last year. They will share the rights with TNT Sports, formerly known as BT Sport, after UEFA gave up their exclusivity rights.
Sky have also yet to confirm who will replace Stelling as the host of Soccer Saturday. Jules Breach and Adam Smith are said to be the current leading candidates for the position.
A number of other broadcasters are also set to leave Sky Sports, with Guy Havord, Dickie Davis, Bianca Westwood, Greg Whelen and Jaydee Dyer all expected to take redundancy packages after being told to reapply for their jobs.
Sky have also yet to confirm who will replace Stelling as the host of Soccer Saturday. Jules Breach and Adam Smith are said to be the current leading candidates for the position.
Related links:
Explore more on these topics:
How Trabzonspor signed Salah: The inside story of Turkish football’s boldest deal
Salah gets a stunning welcome It is not every day that 35,000 people turn up just to watch a footballer sign a contract, but that is exactly what happened at Trabzonspor’s Papara Park as Mohamed Salah officially put pen to paper on his new two-year deal. Club president Ertugrul Dogan was sitting beside Salah during […]
Sport
5h
Curtis Jones completes £30m Inter Milan move after 16 years at Liverpool
Jones begins new chapter Curtis Jones has brought his 16-year spell with Liverpool to an end, leaving the club he joined as a nine-year-old to sign for Inter Milan. The 25-year-old midfielder has agreed a contract with the Serie A champions that will keep him at the club until 2031, with Liverpool accepting a package […]
Sport
8h
Sport
Wolves explain reasons for reinforcing ban of iconic pre-match song at their stadium
Sport