Search icon


11th Nov 2021

Football fan given “last chance” by judge after racially abusing Warrington Town goalkeeper

Daniel Brown

“This is your last chance.”

A football fan who shouted racist abuse at a footballer and told him “white lives matter” has avoided prison after being given a “last chance” by a judge.

Dean Simpson, 24, from Nantwich in Cheshire, was found guilty of racially aggravated public order, as per the BBC.

Mr Simpson shouted abuse throughout the match – including during the penalty shoot-out – before running on to the pitch, where he kicked the ball out of the ground before kicking plastic cups at a number of the South Shields players.

The court also heard that fans witnessed him making racist comments and monkey gestures as he exited the ground on 22 September 2020.

The 24-year-old was handed a 12-week jail sentence suspended for two years at Warrington Magistrates’ Court, with Simpson stating that he drank between four and six pints on the day of the match.

South Shields goalkeeper Myles Boney stated that he was “totally shaken” after being abused at an away game against Warrington Town in 2020.

In a statement read to the court, Mr Boney said he experienced anxiety afterwards and felt “sad” and “disappointed”.

“I have not experienced any form of racial abuse previously and I was totally shaken by this situation,” he added.

In 2018, Simpson was given a three-year football banning order after throwing a missile, but it did not include lower-level matches – which is why he could attend Warrington Town’s games in the Northern Premier League.

Prosecutor Jonathan Wilkinson said: “There’s been zero remorse for any abuse.”

Peter Green, defending Simpson, said he was “petrified” of being sent to prison.

Mr Green added that it was “important that this defendant has the opportunity […] to perhaps change his attitude and more importantly, I think, to grow up.”

Judge Nicholas Sanders said: “You are making a hash of your life, Mr Simpson.

“This is your last chance.”

Simpson was sentenced to rehabilitation for 30 days, as well as receiving a 12-month curfew preventing him from going out on weekend afternoons and evenings.