Search icon


14th Nov 2021

One dead and another injured as car explodes outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital

Kieran Galpin


Counter-terrorism forces are leading the investigation “out of caution”

One person has died while another has been injured in a car explosion and fire outside a hospital in Liverpool.

Merseyside Police said there were reports of an explosion shortly after a taxi pulled into Liverpool Women’s Hospital at around 11am.

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police said it “has not been declared a terrorist incident” but counterterrorism detectives were leading the inquiry “out of caution”.

The spokesperson said that work was ongoing to establish what had happened.

The injured person involved in the fire is being treated in the hospital but is reportedly not in a life-threatening condition.

The chief executive of Liverpool Women’s Hospital said they were restricting patient access “with immediate effect” but are allowing emergency ambulances.

“I’d like to thank the emergency services for their swift response and for bringing calm to the situation,” tweeted Liverpool mayor Joanna Anderson.

Kim Johnson, Labour MP for Liverpool Riverside, tweeted: “Very worrying news of an incident outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital, with large emergency presence.

“Hoping staff, patients and visitors are safe. Please avoid the area.”

The full statement from Merseyside Police reads:

“A statement said: “Unfortunately, we can confirm that one person has died and another has been taken to hospital where he is being treated for his injuries, which thankfully are not life threatening.

“So far we understand that the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred.

“Work is still going on to establish what has happened, and could take some time before we are in a position to confirm anything.

“We are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion but given how it has happened, out of caution, Counter Terrorism Police are leading the investigation supported by Merseyside Police.

“The emergency services have well-rehearsed plans for dealing with major incidents. Our response is ongoing at the hospital and will be for some time. Cordons are in place, and there are some road closures.

“This has not been declared a terrorist incident at this stage although out of caution CT detectives are leading as we try to understand the circumstances behind the explosion”

This is a developing story…