
News
Share
Published 06:31 20 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 06:31 20 Aug 2026 BST

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will move back to the UK later this month, it has been revealed, as the King was made aware of their plans on Sunday.
The King, as Sky News understands, welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a private and personal capacity.
It was in March 2020 when the couple relocated to the US, with their son, Archie, who was almost one at the time.
While living in California, they went on to welcome a daughter, Lilibet.
As Sky News reports, it is understood that will be no change to the Duke and Duchess's status as non-working members of the Royal Family.
For an extended period, the family will now live in a non-royal residence outside London, while the children, now aged seven and five, will start at a British school in September.
Following the first reports of the Sussexes’ return to Britain, Harry was pictured at an event for US veterans in Washington DC on Wednesday.
As he did not address the reports, Harry sticked to discussing his desire to launch a commercial scheme to help former military personnel.
The decision to step back as senior royals by the Sussexes was announced in January 2020, and this was followed by a three-month transition period.
The couple had left the UK and temporarily stayed in Canada before moving to Montecito, California, by the end of March that year.
Since then, Harry has returned to the UK on just a handful of occasions.
Mostly, this was done without Meghan and their children.
For the first time since 2022, King Charles met his grandchildren Archie and Lilibet last month, following the family’s visit to the UK.
• January 2020 - The Sussexes announce their decision to step back as senior members of the Royal Family and split their time between the UK and US.
• February 2021 - They tell the Queen they will not return as working members of the family, with the royals left "saddened by their decision" but insisting the couple "remain much-loved members of the family".
• March 2021 - The couple make several accusations in a bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey, including the claim a royal had raised "concerns" about what colour their son's skin might be.
• May 2021 - Harry accuses the Royal Family of "total neglect" in a documentary about mental health.
• December 2022 - The couple continue to fire off allegations in a Netflix documentary released a few months after the death of the Queen.
• January 2023 - Further claims - including an alleged fight with brother William and tensions with Charles and Camilla - are made in Harry's autobiography Spare. However, he insists he wants to repair the relationships.
• March 2023 - As part of his case against newspaper publishers, Harry claims the Royal Family withheld information from him about alleged phone hacking because it would "open a can of worms".
• February 2024 - The Duke of Sussex visits his father after the King reveals he has cancer - a meeting Harry says he was "grateful" for.
• April 2024 - Harry loses an initial bid to appeal against a court ruling over his security in the UK.
• May 2025 - He gets the green light to appeal that decision but ultimately loses the long-running case, voicing concerns over bringing his family to the UK. He said he wants a "reconciliation" with the Royal Family - but claims the King "won't speak to me".
• July 2026 - The King sees his grandchildren for the first time in two years when he hosts Harry and his family at Highgrove House.
Previously, Harry had voiced concerns about the safety of his family while living the UK, after losing a legal battle with the government in 2025 over his level of security.
The level of security had been downgraded when he stepped down as a working royal.
Meanwhile, for their return to the UK, the Duke and Duchess's security arrangements have not yet been disclosed.
Explore more on these topics:
Flights cancelled as EasyJet ceases all flight from UK airport
Flights from 5 January have been cancelled Easyjet announced ceasing all flights from a major UK airport at the beginning of next year. All flight tickets booked after 5 January have been cancelled as customers are being offered a refund or a free transfer. The famous orange, low-cost airline confirmed that it would cease all […]
News
11h
Lewes train derailment: Investigators reveal track ‘irregularity’
Investigation on last week’s derailment in East Sussex reveal new findings The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) reported faults in tracks prior to the arrival of the train where the accident took place. The RAIB says that the track ‘geometrical irregularity” could be spotted on CCTV moments before the derailment. The train contained 150 people […]
News
11h
News
News