New suspect identified in Madeleine McCann case, reports say
Local media reports a new suspect in the 'active' Portuguese police investigation
Portuguese police have identified a foreign paedophile as a new suspect in Madeleine McCann's disappearance.
Scotland Yard gave information to Portuguese authorities about the suspect, who was in Portugal in 2007, Lisbon-based newspaper Expresso reports.
The paper quoted a judicial source, who said the man had already been investigated for child sex offences before Madeleine was abducted.
Madeleine was three years old when she disappeared from Praia do Luz on holiday with her parents in 2007.
Cressida Dick, the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, said there are "active lines of inquiry" in the case and that a small team of detectives were dedicated to the task.
Dick said: "We have active lines of inquiry and I think the public would expect us to see those through.
"A very small team continues to work on this case with Portuguese colleagues and we have put in an application to the Home Office for further funding."
The Met recently requested double their usual budget, this time £300,000, from the home office for their investigation.
Reports of the new lead came on Friday, the 12th anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance, on which her parents Kate and Gerry issued a statement. It said: "The months and years roll by too quickly, Madeleine will be 16 this month.
"It’s impossible to put into words just how that makes us feel. There is comfort and reassurance though in knowing that the investigation continues and many people around the world remain vigilant.
"Thank you to everyone who continues to support us and for your ongoing hope and belief."