Lewis Hamilton says race was 'manipulated' in unheard team radio message
Lewis Hamilton is clearly not happy
Audio has emerged of Lewis Hamilton telling his Mercedes teammates that the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix had been "manipulated".
A video from Hamilton's Mercedes has circulated on Twitter and features a snippet of audio that clearly shows the Brit's frustrations after he was overtaken on Sunday and denied a record-breaking eighth world title.
Lewis' final lap radio 📻
"This is getting manipulated man"
— Sir Lewis Hamilton Updates (@SirLewisUpdates) December 12, 2021
Hamilton had led for most of the race before being overtaken by Red Bull's Max Verstappen on the final lap. The Dutchman breezed past after a safety car had earlier come onto the track following a crash involving Nicholas Latifi.
That allowed 24-year-old Verstappen to change tyres, giving him a distinct advantage. Hamilton, 36, had been on the same tyres since lap 14.
Mercedes launched appeals over two alleged breaches of the sporting regulations, but they were rejected by race stewards.
The team now intends to go to the International Court of Appeal.
Hamilton is to be knighted on Wednesday.
- Jeremy Clarkson rubs salt in Hamilton's wounds after controversial Verstappen win
- Calls for F1 race director Michael Masi to be fired grow amid Verstappen Hamilton controversy
- Lewis Hamilton set to be knighted this Wednesday
- Lewis Hamilton coy on F1 future after Max Verstappen wins title
- 'Unacceptable': George Russell slams Max Verstappen F1 championship win