Search icon


14th Aug 2018

Donald Trump says “crazy animals” behind London terror attack should be “dealt with through toughness”

James Dawson

President Trump has responded to the incident on social media

Donald Trump has tweeted in response to the suspected terror attack in Westminster that saw a driver plough through cyclists and pedestrians before crashing into a barrier outside the Houses of Parliament this morning.

“Another terror attack in London,” the US president tweeted. “These animals are crazy and must be dealt with through toughness and strength!”

Trump’s tweet comes after police arrested a man in his late-twenties and two people were taken to hospital with “non-life threatening injuries” when a silver Ford Fiesta was driven into the barricade.

Metropolitan police are still seeking to formally identify the lone terror suspect who is described as “not co-operating” with their investigations. The man is not thought to have been known to authorities prior to the incident.

President Trump has previously attacked London mayor Sadiq Khan over terror attacks in the capital. Last summer he accused Khan of doing a “terrible job” after 11 people were murdered by three knifemen in London Bridge.

“At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack,” the president wrote prior to the official death count being confirmed, “and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’”

Following the suspected attack this morning, Khan said he was in “close contact” with the Met Police commissioner about the incident. He added that: “All Londoners, like me, utterly condemn all acts of terrorism on our city.”

Video footage of the terror suspect’s arrest emerged earlier today showing him being led away by armed police after he was pulled from the car at gunpoint. He has been taken to a south London police station where he remains in police custody under suspicion of terrorist offences.

Streets around Millbank, Parliament Square and Victoria Tower Gardens cordoned off following the crash, and Westminster Tube station was also closed. However, the station has now been reopened.