Dana White: Brock Lesnar has retired from MMA
Guess Stipe will get that title shot after all
Any conversation about the greatest MMA heavyweight of all time has to feature Stipe Miocic. Until he lost the strap to Daniel Cormier in July last year, the Cleveland big man did what no other UFC heavyweight champ had done before by reaching three title defences.
Miocic has wins over a who's who of heavyweights and former champions. Andrei Arlovski, Junios Dos Santos, Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum.
And let's not forget how firmly he derailed the Francis Ngannou hype train with a quarter nelson.
But for all that, Stipe hasn't fought since DC beat him. He, rightly, believes he's owed a rematch.
That might now be possible.
DC wants to retire soon, targeting one big payout before he commits to chilling out on the UFC commentary team. The assumption was he'd be facing Brock Lesnar, the UFC's performance enhancing drug user and pay-per-view cash cow.
UFC boss Dana White says Lesnar has retired from MMA and won't be fightin, despite recently becoming eligible to fight after serving a one year suspension for a positive test for a banned substance.
Dana White: “Brock Lesnar told me he’s done. He’s retiring.”
UFC pivoting interest in Cormier’s next fight to Stipe Miocic rematch. Story coming via myself and @arielhelwani shortly.
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) May 1, 2019
ESPN reports Lesnar told White his intention last week. White said: "He told me he's done. He's retired."
It's now understood the UFC is looking to make Miocic v DC 2 for this summer, targeting a card in California on August 17. Cormier and Miocic confirmed this to ESPN, saying they'd reach verbal agreement but contracts were not yet signed.
Miocic said: "I'm ready. I've been ready. And I'm going to take back what's mine."