21 things you'll remember if you were a teenage greebo
1. If the music wasn't heavy, you weren't interested
2. Slipknot, Metallica, Muse, Avenged Sevenfold - that was real music
3. Pop music was commercial trash. The very worst thing you could listen to was pop music
4. You'd try to put your music on at parties, only to get shut down by your non-greebo mates
In retrospect, heavy metal isn't the best music to dance to. Not that kind of dancing, anyway.
5. The whole purpose of life was to go to gigs
6. And the whole purpose of gigs was to mosh
7. Circle pits, walls of death - there was nothing better than throwing your sweaty body into other sweaty bodies
8. Long hair was an essential as a greebo
Yes, I am ashamed to say that is me.
9. Your t-shirts were primarily black and covered in band logos
10. Your jeans were baggy, never tight
Photo: George DeSota / Newsmakers
12. Your backpack and jackets were covered in patches and studs
13. You never went anywhere without a chain hanging off your jeans
14. You were most definitely NOT an emo
Photo: Diego DeNicola
15. Nor were you a goth - they're completely different
If everyone's going to insist on dissing us for the way we dress, at least diss us properly.
16. Chavs were your sworn enemy
Photo: Chris Idle
They were the only ones who actually called you a greebo, really.
17. Reading/Leeds and Download were your version of Valhalla
18. Remember 2008 when Rage Against The Machine AND Metallica headlined R+L? Unbelievable
Look at Biffy Clyro and Slipknot all the way down the lineup. Times have changed.
19. Being a greebo was all about non-conforming
Photo: Jurek Durczak
Whilst looking exactly like a bunch of other greebos.
20. You almost certainly said "Fuck the system" without a trace of irony at least once
Great song though, tbf.
21. But now you're old, you wear chinos and eat at Pret. You are the system
Mmm, delicious system.
Feature: @QC_BandMerch / Rich Cooper