Watch out for chemical burns when you're enjoying a drink in the sun (pics)
We've never heard of this before, but we'll be taking extra care when enjoying a cocktail in the sun from now on.
The internet is awash with photos of people who have enjoyed a casual drink in the sun only to wake up with severe chemical burns.
The burns occur as a result of the juice or oil of certain fruits, plants and vegetables reacting to UV rays after coming into contact with the skin. Limes, a common addition to many cocktails and beers, are particularly dangerous.
If you're heading away on holidays then take note of these images...
The condition is called phytophotodermatitis, but it is also known as 'margarita dermatatis' - mainly because it's more likely to happen when you're drinking a cocktail outside on a sunny day.
Reactions can be mild, but some other photos show the worst case scenario. The photo below is described by the doctor as being caused by the patient simply 'eating something that dripped'. Poor guy.
Any citric fruits, as well as parsnips, celery and any wild flowers can bring about rashes and blisters if combined with your skin and sunlight, so remember to wash up well if you're cooking or drinking with any of those ingredients on a warm day.