Search icon

Crime

24th Dec 2022

Rapper Tory Lanez found guilty for shooting Megan Thee Stallion

Steve Hopkins

Megan Thee Stallion suggested she’d been offered $1 million to keep quiet

Rapper Tory Lanez has been found guilty of shooting Megan Thee Stallion in 2020 and now could reportedly face a prison sentence of more than 22 years.

The Canadian was convicted in Los Angeles on Friday of three charges, felony negligent discharge of a firearm, assault with a semiautomatic firearm and carrying a loaded and unregistered firearm.

TMZ reported that after the verdict was read, several members of Lanez’s family – including his dad and stepmum – shouted, “This system stands before God!” and called the court system evil. They were then escorted from the court.

The outlet suggested Lanez could now face more than 22 years in prison, which will be determined during sentencing on 27 January.

Sources told TMZ that the rapper is likely to be deported to Canada.

During the trial, Megan told the court she saw Lanez with the gun, explaining she remembers him firing at her from his Cadillac Escalade, and further claimed he shouted, “Dance, bitch!”

She also suggested Lanez offered her $1 million to keep quiet.

Lanez’ defence suggested a then-friend of Megan’s, Kelsey Harris, fired the shots.

Harris testified that she did not see who shot the rapper, even though she’d given earlier statements identifying Lanez as the shooter, including a text from the night of the incident saying, “Tory shot meg.”

The defence, TMZ noted, called out Megan for not being forthright about having an intimate relationship with Tory, and that she’d initially lied to police about how her feet had gotten injured.

Lanez never took the stand, and neither did his driver that night, Jaquan Smith.

Rapper Drake faced criticism last month for lyrics that appeared to suggest Megan Thee Stallion had lied about the shooting, a claim her attorney called “ignorant.”

Related links: