Search icon


01st Jul 2023

Two children and woman die in ‘devastating’ flat fire

Steve Hopkins

‘It’s just heartbreaking’

Two children and a woman have died after a “devastating” flat fire in Cambridge early on Friday morning.

A man managed to escape the flames, which engulfed a maisonette in Sackville Close, King’s Hedges, and is in a critical condition in hospital.

More than 30 firefighters attended the fire after emergency services were called to the scene around 1.08am.

Firefighters rescued two children, a boy and a girl, but despite efforts to save them they both later died in hospital. A woman in her 30s also died at the scene.

Firefighters arrived at the blaze to find smoke billowing from the ground and first floor of a two-storey maisonette and managed to stop it spreading to nearby homes.

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service Area Commander Stuart Smith said in a statement: “This is a devastating and deeply upsetting incident that will touch many people. Our thoughts are with the relatives, friends and neighbours of the family. It’s just heartbreaking.

“We know this will have a huge impact on the local community and our fire safety team was in the area visiting residents yesterday to provide fire safety information and reassurance and will be returning next week.

“A fire like this is one of the toughest incidents you can attend as a firefighter and we’re looking after the welfare of all those who responded to or supported this incident.”

The cause of the fire is not yet known and an investigation is underway.

An East of England Ambulance Service spokesperson said three ambulances, three Hazardous Area Response Team vehicles, two ambulance officer vehicles and response cars from the East Anglian Air Ambulance and Essex and Herts Air Ambulance attended the fire.

“One woman had sadly died at the scene. One man with serious injuries was transported to Addenbrooke’s Hospital together with an infant and an older child – both children in serious conditions.

“An infant from an adjoining property was also transported to Addenbrooke’s Hospital for further assessment and care.

“The ambulance service would like to extend its deepest sympathies to all those affected by this tragic incident.”

Related links:

Boy, 17, found in canal after being stabbed to death

Two teenage girls arrested after two men stabbed – leaving one fighting for his life

16-month-old girl dies after mum leaves her home alone to go on vacation – for 10 days

Hilarious moment armed robber gets trapped under shop’s roller shutters

One-legged British crime boss jailed after five years on the run