Three men stabbed in 'fight' involving axe and Samurai sword on beach
The incident happened at Formby beach in Merseyside.
A 20-year-old man has been left in a critical but stable condition after he was struck with a Samurai sword and an axe in a fight. Police have confirmed that another 20-year-old and a 16-year-old boy also suffered stab wounds.
Emergency services were called to Formby beach in Merseyside at around 7.20pm on Sunday evening, according to the Mirror, with the men taken to hospital by air ambulance.
A witness told the Liverpool Echo that a man was attacked with an axe and a Samurai sword during an "arranged" fight at the National Trust site.
They told the publication: "The lad who was losing the fight pulled out an axe and hit the other lad with it. His mate then pulled out a Samurai sword and used that too. It was bad."
A local man said that the police had to close the beach, which crowds had flocked to as the area saw one of the warmest days of the year so far.
CCTV and forensic enquiries are ongoing and officers will be in the area this evening to speak to the community and gather information.
Detective Superintendent Mark Baker said: "At this early stage we believe that these incidents are linked, but are keeping an open mind as to the motives behind them.
"However, we know the community of Formby and beyond will be alarmed to hear about what has happened and will share our determination to find those responsible and remove them from the streets. Officers remain at the scene and are available to support any residents looking for information or support.
"I know that there were a number of people on the beach this evening, and I'd like to urge anyone who saw what happened to come forward and help us to identify the offender as soon as possible.
"It is appalling and sad that on a sunny day like today when people have been out enjoying themselves we are patrolling our beaches after such a horrific incident. Knife crime has no place whatsoever in our communities and we're doing everything we can to bring the offender to justice."
The police have since said that they believe the incident to be an unprovoked attack, with a police presence still at the beach and an area taped off as enquiries continue.