The search for the missing newborn has entered its third day
Police searching for Constance Marten and Mark Gordon’s missing newborn have recovered what is thought to be a baby blanket in the woods, along with burnt items.
Pictures from the scene in Brighton, East Sussex, show clothes strewn across the ground as cops were spotted inspecting burnt items.
The white blanket was not placed into an evidence bag, the Sun reports.
Earlier on Wednesday, police extended their search for the baby to a nature reserve to Moulsecoomb Wild Park, an area just a mile from where Marten and Gordon were arrested, with search dogs deployed as part of the search.
Police are searching a 91-square mile area for the infant, with an allotment area being the focus of search efforts so far.
Marten and Gordon were arrested on Monday in Stanmer Villas on suspicion of child neglect, after a member of the public reported seeing them shortly before 9.30pm that day.
They had been missing with their baby for 53 days.
But the newborn has yet to be found and has not received any medical treatment since they were born.
Over 200 officers are searching a 91-square-mile area across East Sussex – with the focus on Stanmer Villas and Roedale Valley Allotments area of Brighton.
As concern for the baby’s welfare grew, police confirmed on Tuesday that Marten and Gordon had been further arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter.
Detective Superintendent Lewis Basford, from the Metropolitan Police, said the risk to the infant was increasing as time goes on.
Police said they still hope to find the baby safe and well, but DS Basford added that they must “be open to the fact this may not end in the way we would like” and that the infant may have “come to harm.
Marten, 35, and Gordon, 48, had been travelling around the UK by taxi since their car was found burning on the M61 in Bolton, Greater Manchester, on 5 January. The couple walked along the hard shoulder of the motorway, with Marten carrying their baby in her arms.
Authorities previously believed the couple had been sleeping rough, and had been dodging police by moving around frequently and keeping their faces covered from CCTV. The couple travelled from Bolton to Liverpool, then to Harwich in Essex, then to east London and then to Newhaven in Sussex, where they were seen near the ferry port on 8 January.
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaïfi under investigation for alleged kidnap and torture
- Polish police speak out on young woman’s claims she is Madeleine McCann
- Fundraiser set up for hillclimber who fell 100ft while carrying his dog, so he can ‘always remain with his best friend’