Law student, 23, who died after eating 'cannabis gummies' named and pictured for first time 3 months ago

Law student, 23, who died after eating 'cannabis gummies' named and pictured for first time

Tributes have been paid to the 'promising young woman'

The student who died after eating "cannabis gummies" has been named as Damilola Grace Olakanmi.


The 23-year-old was a law student at the University of Hertfordshire. Olakanmi and her 21-year-old friend fell ill on March 29 after eating 'cannabis gummies' they had purchased on a messaging app.

The Metropolitan Police reported that the sweets came in packaging branded with “Trrlli Peachie O’s."

Olakanmi was taken to Queen's Hospital by air ambulance in critical condition, but passed away on Saturday with her mum, Wumi, by her bedside.


Olakanmi's friend, a US student visiting from the UK was later discharged from hospital.

Justice campaigner and relative Richard Taylor, 75, told the Evening Standard: “Wumi has lost her only child - she has nothing now.


“They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.

“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own."

Another relative described her as a "sweet, quiet girl" who was "very kind."

A man has been arrested in connection with the incident and charged with possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.


The Met said he was found in possession of a large quantity of cash and what they believed to be edible cannabis products.

They have also issued a warning over the sweets and are now testing a number of the suspected drugs that have been recovered.

Anyone with information about people selling illegal products is urged to speak with local officers, call police on 101 or, to remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers.


Related links