Search icon


17th Dec 2022

Brixton: Woman, 33, dies after Asake concert crush

Charlie Herbert

Brixton Academy crush death

Two more women remain in a critical condition

A 33-year-old woman has died after being injured in a crush at a gig at London’s Brixton O2 Academy that left several others injured.

The concert, by Afro-pop singer Asake, had to be abandoned part-way through after a “large number of people” tried to force their way inside on Thursday, the Met Police said.

Videos on social media showed the crowd stretching from the road outside to the venue’s doors.

In an update on the investigation into the events of Thursday evening, police confirmed 33-year-old Rebecca Ikumelo, from Newham, had passed away following her injuries.

Two other women aged 21 and 23 remain in a critical condition.

Police said: “The police investigation into the incident at the 02 Brixton Academy on Thursday, 15 December, continues.

“Sadly, one of the women who was critically injured, died at hospital on the morning of Saturday, 17 December. She is Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, of Newham. Specialist officers are continuing to provide support to her family.

“A post-mortem examination will be held on Sunday, 18 December, at Greenwich Public Mortuary.

Speaking at the scene on Friday (December 16), Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove, policing commander for Lambeth and Southwark, said: “I’d like to extend my sympathies to all those who have been affected. Having seen some of the really upsetting images on social media our thoughts are with them.

“An urgent investigation is currently underway led by detectives from our Specialist Crime Command and cordons remain in place as officers continue to work at the scene. This is still a fast moving and evolving picture and we are working to establish the events that led up to the incident.

“We are also aware of a vast amount of footage on social media and of course this will be examined as part of the investigation along with footage from officers’ body worn video cameras.

“We are working incredibly closely with our partners and community members and would like to thank them for their support so far in the investigation. We would also like to thank people for coming forward with information.

“We have set up an online page for the submission of photos and videos. There were around 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of this incident and we want to urge any members of the public with information to come forward. We need your information as we try to establish what happened as quickly as we can.”

Any witnesses who are yet to speak with police are asked to call 101 ref 6725/15Dec.

The concert on Thursday was the final performance of three sold-out shows at the venue by Nigerian singer Asake. Before the gig, he had posted on Twitter asking fans not to try to gain entry unless they had tickets.

The Met says that more than 4,000 people turned up.

The first officers were reported to be on the scene at 21:11 GMT, seven minutes after they were called.

In a statement on his Instagram account, Asake said: “My heart is with those who were injured last night and caused any form of discomfort. I pray you get well soonest.”