Blackpool rollercoaster ‘breaks down near top forcing passengers to walk down’ 1 year ago

Blackpool rollercoaster ‘breaks down near top forcing passengers to walk down’

They had to climb 200ft back down

Blackpool Pleasure Beach's world famous 'Big One' broke down on Sunday, forcing unlucky thrillseekers to climb back down from the ride.


The 213ft high ride ground to a halt because of a suspected mechanical failure. Staff at the park had to climb up the rollercoaster before helping the passengers back down. Photos of the rescue captured the 65m descent that they than had to make down a set of stair alongside the ride.


Well, that's a bit of drama for Pleasure Beach customers yesterday, getting stuck at the top of The Big One and having...

Posted by Blackpool Rocks Party Weekends on Sunday, April 25, 2021

One person wrote on social media: "OMG. Big One stopped right at top today 12ish and the staff had to walk every one down safely. Well done.

"Think I would have been really scared. Then it was sent round the track empty a few times then we walked home bit of excitement. All worked out ok."

Another commented: "My brother’s in Blackpool and just sent a video of people stuck at the top of the Big One and having to walk down to get off it.


"I’d be welded to my seat. They’d have to get me out with a crane."

A third person said: "Walking people down the Big One in Blackpool. At least they will get their steps done today."


Another added: "Can you Imagine if I was stuck on the big one, I think I'd be screaming."

The Pleasure Beach reopened on 12 April as the latest set of lockdown restrictions were lifted.

When the famous 'Big One' opened in 1994 it was the tallest and steepest rollercoaster in the world, and to this day is still the tallest rollercoaster in the United Kingdom.

A spokesman for the Pleasure Beach said: "At 11.30am on Sunday 25th April a stoppage occurred on the Big One lift hill.

"The decision was taken to stop the ride and all riders were safely escorted down the lift hill. The ride was checked and re-opened at approximately 1.00pm."