Search icon


09th Aug 2022

Pictures of notorious Chinese takeaway that put the ‘Grim in Grimsby’ released

Jack Peat

Health inspectors closed the takeaway ruling it posed an “imminent risk” to public health

A notorious Chinese takeaway has been blasted for “putting the Grim in Grimsby” after health inspectors released stomach-churning pictures from inside.

Revolting images show the filthy kitchen covered in rat droppings and pools of vermin urine while meat was left defrosting in a sink and dumped in dirty washing-up bowls.

Council officials made the shocking discovery during a routine inspection of China House takeaway in Grimsby, Lincs., last November.

Pictures taken inside the eaterie on Pasture Street also show dirty cooking utensils, stained tea towels and mouldy food containers.

Lumps of raw chicken had been left to defrost in a sink while other meat was stuffed in grubby washing-up bowls.

Boxes of sauces and spices had been gnawed at by vermin and the kitchen surfaces were thick with grime, mould and food.

A chopping board was also being used to prepare raw and ready to eat food while cold food was left out due to the fridges being over-filled.

Health inspectors from North East Lincolnshire Council closed the takeaway ruling it posed an “imminent risk” to public health.

It is the second time China House has been forced to close in four years.

The premises closed for six days in 2018 when officers visited following a customer complaint and discovered rainwater flowing into the food preparation area.

Owner Wen Yi Cao, 50, of Grimsby, admitted 13 severe food hygiene offences when he appeared at Grimsby Magistrates’ Court on July 15.

The court heard food was sold which was “unsafe in that it was unfit for human consumption.”

Yi Cao also failed to ensure staff were supervised or trained in food hygiene matters.

He also failed to ensure food was kept at suitable temperatures and had inadequate procedures to control pests.

JPs were told he “failed at all stages of production, processing and distribution to protect food against any contamination likely to render the food unfit for human consumption.”

The premises was temporarily closed down due to the imminent risk to health of members of the public.

Yi Cao was fined £358, ordered to pay £850 in court costs and a victim surcharge of £36.

Following the case, social media users expressed their disgust at the pictures released by health inspectors.

Facebook user Andy Webber said: “Yikes, this place puts the Grim in Grimsby! Come for the Chow Mein, stay for the dysentery!”

Oliver Roe added: “Surprised the rats didn’t have second thoughts about eating there.

“You’d be better off licking a bog seat at Grimsby bus station than eating owt from there!”

In January this year, China House was re-inspected by council officers where it achieved a food hygiene rating of three, meaning it was “satisfactory”.

Councillor Ron Shepherd, portfolio holder for safer and stronger communities, said: “I am pleased appropriate action has been taken and he has been brought before the courts.

“The number of food hygiene offences is alarming. Businesses operating in such a poor manner will not be tolerated.

“Our environmental health officers work hard to ensure the public’s safety and also give food business operators the direction and information they need to comply with food safety legislation.

“We need to protect consumers from businesses that put people’s health at risk.”

Related stories: