Alex Telles 'hopeful' of becoming a Man Utd player imminently
Manchester United appear to be closing in on their second signing of the window
In future, Luke Shaw might want to think before he opens his mouth. Speaking after his side's dismal opening Premier League fixture ended in 3-1 defeat to Crystal Palace on Saturday evening, Shaw had echoed the sentiment of many Manchester United supporters on social media in highlighting how the club could do with a few extra signings to bolster their ranks.
"As I said, we have a very good group, but personally I think we need more players to strengthen the squad," Shaw said in an interview with TV2.
"It can give us a boost. When you look around at how other teams are strengthening their teams, then we must also do it to keep up with the others."
Well, Luke, it appears your luck's in... sort of. After signing Donny van de Beek from Ajax earlier in the summer, United now appear to be inching ever closer to signing number two.
A flurry of reports claim Porto's Alex Telles is close to a move to Old Trafford, with a tweet from Jamie Jackson, the Guardian's Manchester football correspondent, stating the player hopes to be a United player before the week is out.
Alex Telles hopeful deal to move to @ManUtd will occur this week, is the understanding...
— jamie jackson (@JamieJackson___) September 21, 2020
Great news, right Luke? Well... sort of. Though Telles will indeed add depth to a shallow United squad and bring with him a frankly ridiculous goals return for a left-back (and yes, we know most were penalties), it could also mean Shaw, United's current first-choice left-back, will likely find himself watching on from the bench more than he'd probably have liked.
The Brazilian, 27, has been with Porto for four years, having arrived in European football with Galatasaray after leaving Gremio in his homeland in 2014. After a year in Turkey he also spent the following season in Serie A with Inter Milan and was briefly linked with a move to Chelsea.
Ahead of their defeat to Palace, Ed Woodward, the man widely blamed for United's inactivity in the transfer market, spoke to to the club's official programme, stating United were not immune from the financial impact of the Covid pandemic. This had prompted concern that United were struggling to fund any more transfer deals.