Newcastle team trip to Las Vegas cancelled after Mike Ashley promising it if they stayed up
It was confirmed that the promised trip to Las Vegas was not going ahead following Newcastle's win over Fulham on Sunday
The all-expenses paid trip to Las Vegas that Mike Ashley promised the Newcastle team in October if they recovered from their poor start and avoided relegation will not go ahead, it was confirmed after the team's win over Fulham on Sunday.
Rafa Benitez's side had been told that they would get a trip to the US if they remained in the Premier League, however, it is reported that Ashley cancelled the trip, with the players instead being paid their season bonuses in advance of June.
The promise of the trip to the Nevada city was made with the club at the bottom of the table after a winless start to the season.
According to Chronicle Live, it is thought that there is no animosity between the players and Ashley over the decision, as many had already booked holidays over summer, however, as the bonuses they were due to be paid anyway, it will still likely mean the Newcastle owner has saved himself a bit of money.
The Sports Direct owner and Newcastle owner also appeared in the side's dressing room after they beat Fulham 4-0 at Craven Cottage, with manager Benitez saying of it: "[Ashley] said congratulations and thank you very much for the season.
"He was congratulating the team."
Benitez added: "Everyone can see we have a group of players who care.
"It wasn’t amazing, I think we can do better as they were pushing and doing well.
"I am proud and really pleased yes, but it was not the perfect game."
When pushed on what Ashley's emergence might mean for him remaining at the club, Benitez - whose contract runs out at the end of the season - said: "We will have a meeting next week."