Nelson Piquet apologises to Lewis Hamilton for racial slur 1 month ago

Nelson Piquet apologises to Lewis Hamilton for racial slur

Piquet is now also banned from the F1 paddock

Former three-time Formula One world champion Nelson Piquet has apologised after making a racially offensive comment towards Lewis Hamilton last year.

Advertisement

The 69-year-old used a racially abusive term when describing Hamilton last year

Piquet used a racially offensive term when speaking about the Mercedes driver on a podcast last year and was strongly condemned by the F1 as well as Hamilton himself.

A statement from the organisation said: "Discriminatory or racist language is unacceptable in any form and has no part in society.

Advertisement

"Lewis is an incredible ambassador for our sport and deserves respect."

It continued: "His tireless efforts to increase diversity and inclusion are a lesson to many and something we are committed to at F1."

Advertisement

The 37-year-old posted a statement on Twitter on Tuesday, insisting that "these archaic minds need to change."

He said: "It’s more than language. These archaic mindsets need to change and have no place in our sport. I’ve been surrounded by these attitudes and targeted my whole life. There has been plenty of time to learn. Time has come for action."

Advertisement

Piquet apology

Following the intense backlash the 69-year-old has received, Piquet has come out and apologised to Hamilton but said that the language he used "is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for 'guy' or 'person' and was never intended to offend."

He said: "I apologise wholeheartedly to anyone that was affected, including Lewis.

"I would never use the word I have been accused of in some translations.

"The translation in some media that is now circulating on social media is not correct. Discrimination has no place in F1 or society and I am happy to clarify my thoughts in that respect."

Advertisement

Lewis Hamilton Nelson Piquet

Piquet will not be allowed into the paddock

The BBC have reported that despite Piquet's apology, the former world champion will not be allowed to return to the paddock until further notice.

This means he will not be present at this weekend's upcoming British Grand Prix which will take place at Silverstone.

Related links: