No love lost
Everton released a short, but brutal 59-word statement to confirm Anthony Gordon’s departure from the Toffees on Sunday.
Gordon joined Newcastle for £40m on Sunday after he dug in his heels and forced a move away from Goodison Park by refusing to turn up to training.
His arrival on Tyneside addresses one of Eddie Howe’s needs for a new winger in his side and bolsters his squad ahead of a push to qualify for the Champions League.
✍️ We are delighted to announce the signing on Anthony Gordon on a long-term deal!
Welcome to Newcastle United, @anthonygordon! ⚫️⚪️
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) January 29, 2023
Despite being a boyhood Everton fan, the way Gordon has departed the club has left a bitter taste in the mouth of the Toffees and was proved by their statement, which appeared to show that no love will be lost.
They said: “Anthony Gordon has joined Newcastle United for an undisclosed fee.
“The 21-year-old forward leaves Everton after having submitted a formal transfer request.
“Gordon joined the Club’s Academy at the age of 11 and made his senior debut as a 16-year-old in a Europa League tie in December 2017. He went on to make 78 First-Team appearances, scoring seven goals.”
The 21-year-old also released a statement of his own, thanking the fans for his support and said that he hadn’t taken the criticism he had received personally.
He wrote: “To Everton… I came to this club at the age of 11 and not only did it give me a place to play football but it gave me a second family. The club has shaped me into the footballer and more importantly the person I am today, it has given me everything I could have asked for and more.
“Like any young scouser living two minutes from the stadium, I dreamt of scoring inside Goodison, in front of thousands with the fans cheering my name. I remember travelling to away games with my mates, singing the players’ songs and dreaming it would happen to me. Last year felt so surreal because all my childhood dreams were becoming reality. I wish I could relive some of them days but I’ll settle for the memories, which will last a lifetime for me.
“To the fans, you gave me some of the best nights of my life. You made me a better player. I have always thrived off your energy and you always made me run harder and faster.
— AG (@anthonygordon) January 29, 2023
“There has been some difficult moments this year but I never took any of it personally; stick by the team because they need you.
“I love this club and I always have from the day I joined but the time has come for me to leave. I know many won’t understand but the next chapter awaits. I will always wish the best for this club and always be watching on.
“From the bottom of my heart thank you and good luck. Anthony.”
Gordon could make his Newcastle debut against West Ham on Saturday.
- Anthony Gordon tells Everton he won’t return to the club
- Football agent slams Jamie Carragher for comments on Everton owner
- Everton deny reports they have been put up for sale