Liverpool summer signing explains what really happened with Man United link
Liverpool's summer spending ought to see them launch a title challenge this season.
Jurgen Klopp saw his goalkeeping issue remedied with the arrival of Alisson Becker, added depth to his attacking options with the bargain acquisition of Xherdan Shaqiri and solidified his midfield with the signing of both Naby Keita and Fabinho.
The Reds are currently second favourite to claim the Premier League title, behind only defending champions Manchester City, and the Merseyside club's investment in the playing staff is the primary reason why.
Liverpool had to fend off interest from rivals for some players, however.
Shaqiri had been linked with several clubs while it was suggested that Alisson was the subject of interest from both Real Madrid and Chelsea.
Rumour also had it that Manchester United were eager to add Fabinho to their ranks but, in an interview with Sky Sports, the Brazilian midfielder revealed the truth behind United's interest in him.
Fabinho, who cost Liverpool £40 million when he joined from Monaco in May, insists that there was never an official approach from Jose Mourinho's side.
"Manchester never showed any formal interest, they never made me an offer at all," he said
"Maybe there was some interest or a conversation but it’s not a case of Monaco not letting me go to Manchester United or denying me the move, nothing ever really materialised."
Fabinho is expected to have to wait to make his Premier League debut as Klopp has revealed that the 24-year-old has been feeling ill in recent days.
A scan on a niggle picked up in a preseason victory over Torino showed that Fabinho was free from injury but illness could keep him out of Sunday's clash with West Ham.
“Fabinho is clear," Klopp said.
"He had a scan but the check was clear. Then he felt ill so we sent him home again and I haven’t seen him again. We will see."