Search icon


24th Nov 2018

Copa Libertadores final delayed after Carlos Tevez and other Boca players attacked outside stadium

Kyle Picknell

Welcome to the Superclásico

The Copa Libertadores final between historic rivals from Argentina, Boca Juniors and River Plate, was never going to be smooth sailing.

After a 2-2 draw in the first leg, the second was due to be played at 8pm GMT (5pm local time) at River’s home, Estadio Monumental.

However, in the build-up to one of the most eagerly awaited matches in recent South American football history, chaos ensued, making it all but impossible for the game to go ahead.

As reported by journalist Peter Coates, who specialises in Argentinian football and has done an excellent job in covering the buildup to the final of the Libertadores so far, the drama began as Boca’s team bus arrived at Monumental and was pelted with missiles from the River Plate supporters outside the stadium.

This caused the windows of the coach to smash, and meant that when the police attempted to control the crowds by firing tear gas and using pepper spray, which began to affect the Boca players.

The damage to the interior of the Boca coach can be seen clearly in this video:

Former Manchester United and Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez was amongst those worst affected, and could be seen in clear discomfort as he was escorted inside to the dressing room.

Uncertainty then mounted as the kick-off time lurched ever closer with neither team having yet stepped out on the field to warm-up.

Boca’s players, meanwhile, were reportedly in no condition to play, with the aforementioned Tevez and several other teammates vomiting in the dressing room. Jara and Pablo Perez also suffered cuts from the broken windows.

Early reports indicated that at least three Boca players were transported to hospital.

Oh, and if that wasn’t enough, here’s some River fans strapping flares to their child so they could sneak them into the ground:

Unsurprisingly, it soon became clear that the final would not be going ahead on time on Saturday night.

The South American Football Federation CONMEBOL, meanwhile, confirmed that the game’s kick off would be delayed for an hour and is still set to take place at 18:00 local time (9pm GMT). However, it does now seem likely that the match will be suspended and take place at a later date.


CONMEBOL have now delayed the kick-off until 19:15 local time (22:15 GMT).

Carlos Tevez believes (much like everyone else outside of CONMEBOL) are in no condition to play the final tonight.