Christian Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest in game against Finland, doctor confirms 1 year ago

Christian Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest in game against Finland, doctor confirms

Eriksen collapsed during Denmark's Euro 2020 opener

Christian Eriksen suffered a cardiac arrest in Denmark's Euro 2020 opener against Finland, the Danish team doctor has confirmed.


Eriksen went down innocuously towards the end of the first half, with referee Anthony Taylor immediately halting the game and calling for medical assistance.

It was immediately clear Eriksen was in serious danger.

Players from both sides looked anguished and distressed as they hurried medical staff onto the pitch.


Denmark captain Simon Kjaer and goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel were praised for their roles in coming to the aid of their stricken teammate.

The swiftness with which Kjaer, Schmeichel and Taylor acted may well have saved the Inter Milan midfielder's life.

Denmark players form a protective ring around Christian Eriksen as he receives medical treatment during the UEFA Euro 2020 Championship Group B match between Denmark and Finland on June 12, 2021 in Copenhagen, Denmark. (Photo by Stuart Franklin/Getty Images)

Now, it has been confirmed that Eriksen suffered a cardiac arrest.

Speaking at a press conference on Sunday, team doctor Morten Boesen said: "He was gone. How close were we? I don't know.

"His condition is stable and he continues to be hospitalised for further examination," said a statement from the Danish FA.

"This morning we have spoken to Christian, who has sent his greetings to his team-mates.


"The team and staff of the national team has received crisis assistance and will continue to be there for each other after yesterday's incident.

"We would like to thank everyone for their heartfelt greetings."

Denmark captain Simon Kjaer was the first player on the scene when Eriksen collapsed. He promptly acted to clear his airways, and rolled him into the recovery position.

Kjaer also formed a guard around Eriksen as he lay on the pitch receiving medical treatment. This guard involved the Denmark squad linking arms to form a protective ring around their teammate.

Schmeichel, himself also a senior member of the squad, comforted teammates and Eriksen's partner, who by this point had made her way pitchside and appeared deeply distressed.


Eriksen was taken via stretcher to the Rigshospital in Copenhagen. As he made his way from the ground into a waiting ambulance, he had appeared to have regained consciousness.

The game was suspended, with referee Taylor leading both sets of players off the pitch. It wasn't clear when it was going to resume, as the live feed ended and cameras headed back to the BBC studio.

The game did resume some time later that evening, at 19:30 BST. Finland eventually won 1-0 through Joel Pohjanpalo's header. The Finnish striker's celebration was understandably muted, however.

Eriksen remains in a stable condition in hospital, according to the Danish FA.