
Politics
Share
Published 06:50 19 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 06:41 19 Aug 2026 BST

Every rough sleeper in England will be offered accommodation this winter under a £442m package unveiled by Andy Burnham, who says he wants "to get everyone in for Christmas".
The prime minister made ending rough sleeping his first pledge on entering Downing Street in July, and is promising emergency beds alongside practical support for any health needs.
Official data counted an estimated 4,793 people sleeping rough on a single night in England in the autumn of 2025, which is a 96 per cent rise in five years.
That said, the annual snapshot is seen as significantly undercounting the problem because of strict collection rules.
The previous Conservative government had pledged to end rough sleeping by 2024.
Burnham, who has spent years donating a share of his salary to a homelessness charity, is framing the scheme as a national drive led by local leaders rather than a Whitehall handout.
Shadow housing secretary James Cleverly said there was "little detail" about how the initiative would be paid for or delivered.
Chloe, 27, from London, who slept in parks after leaving the care system, told BBC News that no rough sleeper would turn down a bed if it came with the right support.
However, she warned that hidden homelessness and sofa-surfing had been "normalised".
The test is whether a Christmas deadline can shift a number that has almost doubled in five years.
Explore more on these topics:
Disabled bus pass time limits scrapped across England from April
The weekday bus pass restrictions are ending Disabled bus pass holders in England will be able to travel free at any time of day from April, the government has announced. Around one million people are expected to benefit from the change, which removes weekday restrictions limiting free travel to between 09:30 and 23:00. Passes can […]
Politics
22h
Richard Tice accused of being ‘completely out of touch’ after telling Britons to enjoy the heatwave
‘If English wine and sparkling wine gets better and better, fantastic’ Richard Tice has been accused of being “completely out of touch with the public”, following comments made about Brits and the heatwave. The Reform UK deputy leader told a Westminster press conference on Monday that Britons should stop being “doom and gloom” about climate […]
Politics
1 day ago
Nurses fainting in ‘inhumane’ heat as amber warning returns, union warns
Politics