Search icon


05th Mar 2019

Three explosives have been discovered around London, terror police confirm

James Dawson

Packages have been found at Waterloo Station, Heathrow and London City Airport

Three suspicious packages found at buildings around London on Tuesday were explosive devices, counter-terror police have confirmed.

A4-sized white postal bags containing yellow Jiffy bags were left at Waterloo Station, Heathrow and London City Airport and have now been identified as improvised explosive devices. The devices were capable of igniting a small fire when opened, police said.

The devices have now been made safe by anti-terror experts. Nobody was injured in the incidents and flights in and out of the airports were not affected.

The Met said it is “treating the incidents as a linked series” and “keeping an open mind regarding motives”.

A Met Police spokesperson said: “At approximately 09:55hrs the Met Police received a report of a suspicious package at The Compass Centre, Nelson Road, Hounslow. The package was opened by staff at the building, causing the device to initiate. This resulted in part of the package burning.

“No one was injured. The building was evacuated as a precaution. Specialist officers attended and made the device safe. The building remains closed as enquiries continue. The building is not based at Heathrow Airport, and flights were not affected by the incident.

“At approximately 11.40hrs British Transport Police were called to reports of a suspicious package in the post room at Waterloo Station. The package was not opened. Specialist officers attended and made the device safe. No one was injured.

“The station was not evacuated however cordons are in place at a small area outside the station on Cab Road. Train services are continuing to operate as normal.

“At approximately 12.10hrs police were called to a report of a suspicious package at offices at City Aviation House, Royal Docks, Newham. Staff were evacuated from the building as a precaution. The package was not opened and no one was injured. Specialist officers attended and made safe the device. The building has been reopened.

“As a precaution, DLR services to London City Airport were suspended but are now fully operational. Flights to and from the airport have not been affected. “