The owner is ‘innocent’
A sheep in Africa has been sentenced to three years behind bars for the murder of a woman in Sudan, North Africa.
In May, the unnamed animal was arrested in Rumbek East County, South Sudan, following a violent attack that led to a woman’s death. According to reports in Sudan Today, the sheep headbutted Adhieu Chaping repeatedly, breaking her ribs.
Sadly, Chaping died from her injuries.
“Our role as police is to provide safety and separate fights,” said Lakes State police spokesperson Mabor Makuac. “The ram was apprehended and currently under custody at a police station of Maleng Agok Payam.”
He added: “The owner is innocent and the ram is the one who perpetrated the crime so it deserves to be arrested then later on the case shall be forwarded to customary court where the case can be handed amicably.”
The ram will spend the next three years in a military camp in Aduel County headquarters in Lakes State.
The owner, Duony Manyang Dhal, has reportedly agreed to pay “blood compensation”, which entails giving up five of his cows to the victim’s family.
Reports also suggest that Dhal will lose custody of the sheep upon its release. Under Lakes State laws, he will presumably gift the animal to the bereaved family as further compensation.
- Footage of two male dolphins getting ‘sexually aroused’ with anaconda in mouths confuses researchers
- Croc shot dead after attacking and biting woman’s leg
- Man regrets buying cockatoo after it sings one heavy metal song repeatedly
- Scientist warn that climate change will drive new transmission of 4,000 viruses between mammals by 2070
- Footage captures terrifying moment shark sends paddleboarder falling into water