Nigel Farage criticised for attacking Harry and Meghan after Prince Philip death 5 months ago

Nigel Farage criticised for attacking Harry and Meghan after Prince Philip death

Didn't taken long, did it?

Nigel Farage has drawn criticism on social media for a 'scathing attack' on Prince Harry and Meghan following the death of Prince Philip.

Advertisement

A statement from Buckingham Palace announced the Duke of Edinburgh had died aged 99 on Friday. Later that afternoon, the former MEP and Brexit Party leader appeared on US show Fox & Friends and made the concerning statements.

Referencing Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah, he said their decision to go ahead with the broadcast will cause their standing to decline 'very fast'.

He said: "It was well known that Philip only had a few weeks to live and yet despite that, despite the fact the Queen must have been in a state of deep distress, they proceeded to do an interview at which they attacked, effectively, the older members of the royal family."

The interview aired last month, while Prince Philip was in hospital - though had been recorded prior to his admission. The Fox host Brian Kilmeade also suggested, however, that the interview had contributed to his "stress".

"There are reports that he [Philip] was enraged after the interview and the fallout from the interview with Oprah Winfrey, so here he is trying to recover and he’s hit with that," Kilmeade said.

Advertisement

Kilmeade went on to make reference to the recent departure of Piers Morgan from Good Morning Britain, after his comments about the interview:

"Piers Morgan was saying on his morning show, which he famously walked off of, is like ‘Really? Your grandfather is in the hospital, you know he’s not doing well, is this really the time you have to put out this interview?’” the host continued.

"Evidently, it definitely added to his stress."

Advertisement

Farage also opined: "Given that today is the day that Philip has died, I won’t use the words about Meghan and Harry that I would like to, but I think it was deeply disrespectful...

"When people realise, as I have just said to you, that it was known for the last many weeks that he was at death’s door, when people realise that Meghan and Harry went ahead with that interview regardless, throwing around unjustified allegations, I have a feeling public opinion in terms of Meghan and Harry is going to go down very, very fast."

Advertisement

Prince Philip's death was announced on Friday afternoon.

"It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh," a brief statement read.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

Advertisement

Although precise details are yet to be confirmed with restrictions still in place, his insistence that there was "no fuss" means it is highly unlikely that he will be given a state funeral.