Nick Kyrgios to appear in court after being charged with domestic abuse 1 month ago

Nick Kyrgios to appear in court after being charged with domestic abuse

He has been accused of assaulting a former girlfriend in December 2021

Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios is set to appear in a Canberra court next month after being charged with domestic abuse in his homeland, as reported by the Telegraph.

Advertisement

The report claims that the 27-year-old has been accused of assaulting a former girlfriend in December 2021.

"ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates Court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021," local police said on Tuesday afternoon.

He is set to face off against Cristian Garin in the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Wednesday.

Advertisement

Barrister Jason Moffett told The Canberra Times: "It's in the context of a domestic relationship.

"The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.

Advertisement

"Given the matter is before the court ... he doesn't have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we'll issue a media release."

Kyrgios made his Grand Slam breakthrough at the Australian Open earlier this year when he and Thanasi Kokkinakis combined to win the men's doubles title. He is currently ranked No. 45 in the world having been as high as No. 13 back in 2016.