ISIS leader killed in raid carried out by US special forces 5 months ago

ISIS leader killed in raid carried out by US special forces

A number of civilian casualties were reported

President Joe Biden has announced that an ISIS leader has been killed by US special forces during a strategic raid in Syria.

Advertisement

Informing the world's media on Thursday, POTUS said that "US military forces in northwest Syria successfully undertook a counterterrorism operation to protect the American people and our Allies, and make the world a safer place."

Advertisement

Taking place overnight, he confirmed that Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi, reported to be an ISIS leader, was "taken off the battlefield" and that "all Americans have returned safely from the operation."

The photo above is said to be taken from within the White House as Biden and his Vice President Kamala Harris sat in the office's Situation Room to watch as the raid took place.

US outlets had reported early on Thursday that a military operation had been carried out in the region, but few details were known at first; however, along with the identity of the ISIS leader, AP said that 13 people are said to have been killed on the mission.

Advertisement

Pentagon press secretary John Kirby declared the mission as "successful", with no US casualties suffered.

Local outlets covering the operation in the northern Syrian town of Atmeh, Idlib, are claiming that the targeted strike wasn't such a smooth operation and the Syrian Civil Defence said the death toll includes six children and four women.

ABC News' Senior White House Correspondent, Mary Bruce, claims a source told her "any reported civilian casualties resulted from the target or a family member detonating an explosive device at the beginning of the operation and not from US forces.

Advertisement

Related links