George Floyd mural in Manchester vandalised for a second time 11 months ago

George Floyd mural in Manchester vandalised for a second time

The mural was designed by street artist Akse

A mural to George Floyd based in Manchester has been vandalised and defaced for a second time.


The mural was designed by street artist Akse in May 2020, shortly following the death of 47-year-old Floyd in the United States.

Floyd, a security guard and former nightclub bouncer, was killed by police following an arrest for allegedly handling counterfeit cash.

Four police officers were sacked in response to Floyd's death, including Derek Chauvin, the officer responsible for placing his knee on Floyd's neck for up to eight minutes.

Floyd subsequently died of asphyxiation.

A woman carries a 'Black Lives Matter' sign past U.S. National Guard troops amid protests following George Floyd's death last summer. (Photo: Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Chauvin faces second-degree murder charges, and is due to stand trial in March.

Floyd's death sparked national and international outrage, the ramifications of which are still ongoing today.

The Black Lives Matter protest movement made its way across the globe, shedding a light on issues such as institutional racism and police brutality.

George Floyd's cries of "I can't breathe" uttered shortly before his death have since become a mantra synonymous with the global fight against racial injustice.

When protests hit the UK, it caused many to examine Britain's historic relationship with the slave trade.


Numerous murals also went up across the country, including one designed by Akse in Manchester.

Not long after its conception in the summer of 2020, the mural was defaced when a masked vandal spray-painted the 'n word' over Floyd's face.

The mural was repaired but has now been defaced again, as images posted online purport to show.

A Manchester-based George Floyd mural had a large letter 'N' spray-painted on it overnight, but has now been boarded-up. (Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

Last night, February 14th, a large letter 'N' was spray-painted over the mural, sadly reminiscent of the previous damage inflicted upon the mural.

The mural has been boarded-up since, with local councillor Jon-Connor Lyons saying it was done "to prevent further graffiti or cause any emotional damage to our communities".

Lyons added: "We'll be working to review CCTV footage and any leads will be followed to find the culprit.


"Manchester is an inclusive, welcoming city with people from across the globe. This does not represent Manchester or Mancunians. Whoever did this has achieved nothing."