
News
Share
Published 15:56 11 Jul 2025 BST
Updated 15:28 12 Jul 2025 BST
US President Donald Trump will be denied the honour of addressing Parliament during his state visit to the UK, according to reports.
Trump's trip to the UK is deliberately timed for mid-September as there will be a parliamentary recess, giving the UK an excuse for not offering the President the speech, which Macron did earlier this week.
There have been whispers among Labour MPs that they could protest a joint address to Parliament by not showing up, resulting in potential embarrassment to Donald Trump.
However, Trump's predecessors, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama, had all previously received this honour.
There is a high likelihood that Trump will not be happy about this decision, as backlash is expected.
It was just last Tuesday (8 July) that the French President Emmanuel Macron gave his speech to Parliament and was applauded by Prime Minister Starmer alongside hundreds of peers and MPs.
British officials involved in the state visit running smoothly, are aware of Trump's desire to beat his presidential predecessors in the scale and opulence of the events.
Donald Trump will become the first modern elected leader to enjoy two UK state visits.
Controversy surrounding Trump's relationship with the UK is nothing new, as sensitivities concerning the US-UK relationship date back to 2016 when he first emerged as a candidate for the US presidency.
In that year, over half a million people signed a petition calling for the US President to be barred from entering the UK, which triggered a major debate in Parliament.
50 MPs got involved in the heated discussion where Trump was dubbed a 'buffoon', a 'racist demagogue', and a 'wazzock', per The Telegraph.
It is believed Trump will visit the UK briefly next month.
However, the Presidential visit is expected to be low-key and Downing Street is still seeing whether Sir Keir Starmer's schedule allows him to see the US president during his stay.
The more pertinent state visit is said to be in autumn, with the dates expected to be announced by the Palace later this month.
The House of Commons breaks for parliamentary recess on September 16, with the House of Lords following suit on September 18.
Additionally, the MPs are away from Westminster for the autumn party conferences season in September.
Explore more on these topics:
Flights cancelled as EasyJet ceases all flight from UK airport
Flights from 5 January have been cancelled Easyjet announced ceasing all flights from a major UK airport at the beginning of next year. All flight tickets booked after 5 January have been cancelled as customers are being offered a refund or a free transfer. The famous orange, low-cost airline confirmed that it would cease all […]
News
7h
Lewes train derailment: Investigators reveal track ‘irregularity’
Investigation on last week’s derailment in East Sussex reveal new findings The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) reported faults in tracks prior to the arrival of the train where the accident took place. The RAIB says that the track ‘geometrical irregularity” could be spotted on CCTV moments before the derailment. The train contained 150 people […]
News
7h
News
News